Philanthropy etymologically means "the love of humanity", in the sense of "what it is to be human", the essence of our humanity. In modern practical terms, it is "private initiatives for public good, focusing on quality of life" balancing the social-scientific aspect emphasized in the twentieth century, with the long-traditional and original humanistic core of the word's ancient coinage.
Put simply, philanthropy is the pursuit of excellence in every facet of human life, for every human life, by imagining and implementing new systems, to bring that philosophy to fruition.
An important distinction should be made, that while being admirable, charity is not the same as philanthropy. Simply argued by the concept that an implemented philanthropic idea may make its owner rich, if he or she so wishes. Compare this to the singular act of giving money away, associated with charity, the two concepts almost oppose each other. "A philanthropist knows the act of philanthropy before knowing the definition of the word". (Paul Gignac Philanthropist.)
DMMOM Current Philanthropic Projects:
- Children of Hope- Providing new backpacks and school supplies for Foster Children in here in the Des Moines area. Donations given by members are matched by DMMOM.
- Blank Children's Hospital (IMMC)- Providing care packages with miscellaneous supplies for parents with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Mercy Medical Center- Providing care packages with miscellaneous supplies for parents with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- University of Iowa- Making new fleece blankets for the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit patients at the hospital. Donations of fleece given by members are matched by DMMOM.
- Holiday Project: Adopting three families for Christmas; giving items they are in need of and food pantry items.
During the 2013-2014 academic year, the Des Moines Mothers of Multiples will award two scholarships of $350 each for multiple birth students pursuing enrollment or who are currently enrolled in a college, university, trade or vocational school. Please review the attachments below for eligibility and requirements and the application form (PDF or Word format).